Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My writing experience

I am a junior at East Central University majoring in English and it was just recently that I “got” the feel for my writing style. Although most people seem to think that English types are simply born with distinctive method and certainty I continually defend my normalcy by explaining how hard it is to define your self with words, organization, and structure… unlike most things it is (in a sense) written in stone. I have always enjoyed reading and writing but didn’t fully indulge into the areas until my freshman year in college. It was then I became absolutely certain of my career path. You see, I had decided in High School that I would be an English teacher but merely based my decision on that specific concentration because it was the only subject in high school that I didn’t study basketball films or cook in. Although, I love basketball and enjoy cooking I didn’t learn history or chemistry from those activities… and still to this day have not master osmosis. I know what the hell?! At any rate, I have become increasingly comfortable with my writing skills in which I mostly have to thank Robin Murphy and Mark Walling for. I am a slow writer and a stickler for strong conclusions, my weakness is definitely grammar and chocolate brownies. Overall, I need more exposure to the brilliant minds of our past and direction in calibrating their techniques with modern writing expectations, and you know the saying practice makes perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment